Scholarship Information & Purpose:
The University of Utah Alpha Nu Sigma Chapter is a local Honors Society chapter organized within the American Nuclear Society (ANS). It accepts students from science, engineering and related fields who have demonstrated excellent collegiate scholastic achievement with an emphasis in the study of nuclear science and technology. Thanks to the fundraising efforts of current University of Utah Nuclear Engineering Program (UNEP) faculty and students and the gracious donation of patrons, a scholarship has been created for incoming UNEP Graduate Students. The intent of this scholarship is to recognize and support outstanding UNEP students in their academic and research accomplishments and future pursuits.
1. Must be admitted as a first-year UNEP Graduate Student for the Fall 2014 semester.
2. Minimum cumulative undergraduate GPA of 3.5 on a 4.0 grading scale.
3. Must have participated in an undergraduate research group with intent to continue performing research in a science, technology, engineering, mathematics, or closely-related field.
4. Must have presented a minimum of 1 poster or presentation at a professional conference (ANS, ASME, IEEE, etc.) based on undergraduate research accomplishments and intended future work in a science, technology, engineering, mathematics, or closely-related field.
Value of Award: $1000
Scholarship award may be used toward university tuition, textbooks, or related fees directly associated with enrollment as a UNEP Graduate Student.
How to Apply:
Submit the following items by e-mail to Matthew Eklund, University of Utah Alpha Nu Sigma Chapter President, at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject heading “Utah Alpha Nu Sigma Scholarship”:
1. One page personal statement including background, research experience, and career goals.
2. Copy of abstract, presentation, and/or poster from professional conference appearance.
3. Letter of recommendation from undergraduate research advisor.
Application Deadline: July 31, 2014
Award Notification: Recipient of scholarship will be contacted by e-mail in August 2014.